Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A follow up on SIN, GRACE & the LAW

Out to dinner with some classmates & neighbors - the couple on the far right are Davey & Jess from CA!!!

So our last blog said that we could still sin, and we are saved by God's grace.  What a gift!

I WANT TO BE CLEAR that my goal is NOT to encourage you to sin :) 

My goal is to share that the real path away from sin is to get intimate with God.  Instead we often try to keep laws that are dead, then condemn ourselves into doing good works, thinking that somehow it will make us closer to God.  It doesn't work that way.

Checking out Asia with classmates Tina and Chris

Some of you have asked, "What do you mean by 'Keeping the Law'?" 

This is trying to follow the rules laid out in the Old Testament (such as the 10 Commandments and many other laws regarding food, etc.) for the sake of the rules, trying to earn points or "be good enough".  It would be like me following a handbook on being a good husband and ticking off the checklist, but not really showing intimacy to my wife.  She doesn't care if I follow the checklist, she just wants to know my love!!! 

The best plan of action is to make sure I show her intimacy, and to use the checklist as a good guide.

As my good friend says:
It's a lot better to live a life of freedom, knowing that we're Saints that sometimes sin; rather than dirty rotten sinners who sometimes act like Saints.
I accept God's grace daily, knowing that I'm His child and His Spirit lives in me! (romans 8 is so cool especially 8:15-17)
Actually if you break Repent down in the Greek linguistics, it means “Change the Way you believe”.  It does not mean to Feel Condemned.

One of the greatest gifts from our schooling time here in Kona has been to be able to intentionally be with the Lord on a daily basis in a "safe zone" free from distractions.  It is this simple intimacy that is increasing my heart for God and AT THE SAME TIME WEEDING OUT THE SIN INSIDE ME.  I am not trying to keep laws and deny myself.  Instead I am enjoying deeper relationship with the one I love.


Kids playing games during our retreat.  Far right in red hat is Ryan, 20 yrs; Center white T-shirt is DY, 28 yrs -- two of the three leaders of our outreach to Japan.  This is YOUTH with a Mission!!!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Jang. Google translator to write to the eagle. Dave photos I posses a good time tonight, I think. Many fellowship we hope that through your blog. Is always appreciated. Please understand, if not English.

    ReplyDelete