Sunday, August 7, 2011

Which way do we go?

Our trip has brought much time for reflection & prayer. Something that often alludes us in our digital device world.

I am troubled by how few people actually take stock & make adjustments to their lives. I think these "adjustments" we make along the way are so critical to living a full life. We never get it completely right, but if we take time to evaluate what destination we are sailing for & then adjust the auto-pilot a bit, we are sure not to get lost at sea (like the metaphor :)

A friend & I were discussing what a successful life looks like. Work, Finance, Family, Faith, Health, etc.

My thought is... In order to live a successful life, we have to first pursue the spiritual & let that shape the other areas of our lives.

Of course we need to attend to all the areas of life, however I see it as a hierarchy vs. a balanced circle.

The more I see different people groups the more I see the power of a "worldview" influencing their lives. This worldview is mostly rooted in spirituality. Who or what they are worshipping. Some will say they are not worshipping, however if they would take time for introspection, they would in fact find they are worshipping SOMETHING!

Maybe it is better scores or money or their children or partying or a God. But it certainly is something!!!

If we blindly pursue health, work, finances, etc. without attempting to align it with our spirituality, we can find our self off track, lost at sea.  However, if we have that guiding light to follow, even when we hit some waves, we keep moving in the right direction. 

In my prayer time here, when I have gone to God without my own agenda & asked him what is on His mind, he has hit me with two powerful questions that have been very profound to me...


He asks,
1.  "David, why are you doing this?", and
2> "What is it all about?"


He asks the questions, but then, if I DON'T pursue my own reasoning, and simply LISTEN for his voice... In that silence He speaks to my heart. He really shows me how my LIFE'S ACTIONS are answering these two critical questions.

Sometimes His answers are affirming and bring smiles. Sometimes His answers are convicting & bring tears. But the answers always bring guidance & peace.

He is so faithful :)

Love,
Dave

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments:

Post a Comment